Abuse Cases

Abuse Cases

We are committed to helping survivors of abuse achieve compensation for the abuse they have suffered.   We can assist with civil claims for compensation and with Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) applications.

We can assist with Child Abuse matters, historical and non-historical, of a both sexual or physical nature.  Cases may include claims against teachers and employees of educational establishments, abuse in homes (children’s homes/elderly or care homes), abuse in sports or youth clubs, abuse by the clergy, action against individual abusers, action against social services and failed care/neglect cases amongst others

We hold a Contract with the Legal Aid Agency to offer legal aid for child abuse compensation claims subject to eligibility.

Civil claims for Child Abuse Compensation

To achieve compensation through civil law for the abuse that you have suffered, you will need to prove the abuse has occurred and has caused your injuries (usually psychological injuries).  We can help you to do so through investigating your case thoroughly ie by interviewing witnesses, assessing social services and police records, obtaining expert evidence.

Although not imperative, it is helpful if you have reported the abuse to the police as the police can then investigate the allegations and obtain evidence which may support a civil claim.  Any report may lead to a criminal conviction which will show that the abuse has been proven.  It can also assist other survivors who have suffered abuse by the same person.

Whilst abuse claims are subject to time limits, this should not prevent you from seeking advice as the Courts are often we can assist even if your case sympathetic to historical abuse claims (particularly where sexual abuse is involved) and may allow cases to run even though they are technically out of time.

Criminal Injuries Compensation Applications for Abuse

If you have been the victim of a crime of violence, you can apply to the Criminal Injuries Compensation scheme which is funded by the Government.

We would normally advise you to make an Application to the scheme (providing you meet the relevant criteria) irrespective of any civil claim as CICA applications are often more straightforward than civil claims.

To achieve CICA compensation, you must:

  • Have reported the abuse to the police and cooperated with the police
  • Make the application within a 2 year period of the assault if later, within 2 years from the date when you reported the abuse to the police (there is discretion to extend these time limits if you have a good reason)


We recognise confidentiality is a primary concern for those who have suffered abuse.  You will deal soley with Lisa Verro, an experienced solicitor who will provide a dedicated service to you.  Therefore, you can rest assured that you will not need to disclose to a number of people.  Lisa will keep everything you disclose to her completely confidential.  We will contact others (ie the police/social services) about your case only if you are happy for us to do so and give us your written consent to do so.   We will apply to the Court to anonymise your case if you wish us to do so.

Lisa Verro provides free advice and support to HAVOCA (Help for Adult Victims of Child Abuse).


Don’t hesitate to contact us now to discuss your case in more detail.